Non-Diverse Judicial Branch

Diversity and inclusion is a hallmark goal of the government and business community. Our Supreme Court is not as diverse as other institutions.

Education

All eight judges are graduates from Ivy League law schools: Harvard, Yale, and Princeton.

Religion

Over 45% of the US claims to be Protestants, 23% are Roman Catholic, and 2% are Jewish. The Supreme Court makeup comprises five Roman Catholics, 3 Jews, and 0 Protestants. John Paul Stevens retirement in 2010 completed the last term of a Protestant.

% of US Population % of Supreme Court
Protestant 46 0
Roman Catholic 23 62.5
Jewish 2 37.5

Note: The nominee to replace Antonin Scalia is Merrick Garland, a Harvard graduate of the Jewish faith.

quote-at-the-constitutional-level-where-we-work-90-percent-of-any-decision-is-emotional-the-rational-william-o-douglas-52697

The quote above is from Supreme Court justice, William O. Douglas. Since all of the judges come from Ivy League schools, where liberalism dominates, then most graduate with a liberal mindset. Criminal law interpretation is clear-cut, whereas Constitutional law interpretation is softer. Not because Constitutional law is unclear, but because progressive judges believe in a living constitution. This is a fluid interpretation based on social norms, political climate, what the judge thinks “should” be right, and extra-constitutional sources. I believe that Justice Douglas is correct when he states that 90% of a Supreme Court decision is emotional and that the other 10% is justifying why the emotional choice is right.

Liberal Mindset + Emotional Decision + Living Constitution =  Unconstitutional Conclusion

Conservative judges are not taught to be conservative in most law schools. Therefore, a judge becomes a conservative by choice and convictions.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s